Academic Marketing Associations and Groups
Below KnowThis.com presents links to sites of marketing and marketing-related academic organizations and associations. Most of these sites also provide information on future conferences, call for papers and membership. For more groups see Trade and Professional Marketing Associations and Groups.
- Academy of Marketing *U.K. based association.
- Academy of Marketing Science *Major academic organization and publisher of Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.
- American Academy of Advertising *Publisher of Journal of Advertising.
- American Marketing Association *Leading academic association and publisher of Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research and other journals.
- Association for Consumer Research *Leading consumer research organization and conference organizer.
- Association of Collegiate Marketing Educators *U.S. academic group.
- Atlantic Marketing Association *U.S. regional academic association.
- European Marketing Academy *Publisher of the International Journal of Research in Marketing
- European Society for Opinion and Marketing Research - ESOMAR *Site of the European Society for Opinion and Marketing Research.
- INFORMS *Site of leading academic research organization, the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Science, and publisher of Marketing Science.
- Marketing Educators' Association *Mostly academic society catering to educators in Western U.S. and Canada.
- Society of Consumer Psychology *Mostly academic group focusing on consumer behavior issues.
- Society of Marketing Advances *U.S. group formerly known as the Southern Marketing Association.
Trade and Professional Marketing Associations and Groups
Below KnowThis.com presents links to sites of the top professional association for a number of marketing areas. For more groups see Academic Marketing Associations and Groups.
- American Marketing Association *Leading professional society for those with interest in the practice, study and teaching of marketing.
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing *UK-based marketing association with strong emphasis on training and professional accreditation.
- CMO Council *Aimed at the chief marketing officer, this association has a heavy Internet/technology leaning. The site does have market reports, white papers and a newsletter that may be accessible to non-members.
- The Marketing Institute *A professional trade organization in Ireland.
Advertising & Promotion
- Advertising Research Foundation *Association that provides resources aimed at helping to create more effective marketing and advertising communications.
- American Association of Advertising Agencies *Trade organization representing the advertising agency business.
- Association of Marketing Service Providers *Supports the interests of mailing service companies.
- Association of National Advertisers *This appears to be a fairly exclusive group whose membership consists of mostly large brand marketers who spend big money advertising on a national and international level.
- Brand Activation Association *Trade group that mostly focuses on consumer and trade promotions. Home of the annual Reggie Awards for top promotions.
- Cabletelevision Advertising Bureau *Trade group site has information, research reports and other materials related to advertising on cable television.
- Council of Public Relations Firms *Trade organization mostly for PR firms (as opposed to freelancers). Site includes firm rankings, career resources and directory for locating members.
- Direct Marketing Association *Leading professional association for direct marketers.
- Path to Purchase Institute *Focus is mostly on marketing promotions within retail stores.
- Promotional Products Association International *Industry group focusing on the use of products to aid promotional objectives.
- Public Relations Society of America *Society for those engaged in PR activities.
- Professional Association for Customer Engagement *Trade group that is focused mostly on offering help to companies using contact centers (e.g., telemarketing) for marketing.
- Word of Mouth Marketing Association *Supports those using referral methods to achieve marketing objectives.
- Digital Analytics Association *Newer group that looks to make sense out of data gathered through website traffic reports.
- Interactive Advertising Bureau *Not-for-profit trade association focusing on advertising issues across all interactive formats.
- Mobile Marketing Association *Focus of this group is on marketing via wireless means including advertising and SMS messaging through cell phones and PDAs.
- Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization *Professional group site that is dedicated to improving the understanding of search engine marketing.
- Council of American Survey Research Organizations *Trade group whose mission is to improve the ethics and practice of survey research.
- Marketing Research and Intelligence Association *Canadian-based group with comprehensive site direct towards marketing, advertising, social and political researchers.
- Marketing Research Association *US-based organization dedicated to promoting excellence in marketing and opinion research. Offers news/event information, links to leading research firms and more.
- The Marketing Research Society *UK group which claims "largest professional body for individuals employed in market research."
- Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals *This association's site includes FAQs about CI, job opportunities, chapter listings and educational options.
- Corporate Design Foundation *An association that believes and teaches that organizational interests can be served through the effective use of design disciplines.
- Product Development & Management Association *Trade and academic group whose mission includes improving "the effectiveness of people engaged in developing and managing new products - both new manufactured goods and new services."
- User Experience Professionals Association *This professional association site has good information for those involved in online and offline product design including coverage of the usability concept, links to guidelines and methods, and conference information.
- American Association of Franchisees and Dealers *Site contains information about owning a franchise, rights of franchise owners and other materials for those thinking of buying a franchise.
- International Franchise Association *Mission "is to enhance and to safeguard the business environment for franchisees and franchisors worldwide."
- National Retail Federation *This site from the leading retail trade group is well stocked with information for those interested in traditional retailing and includes a supplier guide, listing of state, retail associations and other information.
- Point of Purchase Advertising International *An international trade group that focuses on sales promotion and other marketing techniques within the retail environment.
Sales & Sales Management
- Center for Exhibition Industry Research *The main benefit offered by this group is the wide range of fee-based research reports available to both members (cheaper) and non-members covering many industries.
- Exhibit & Event Marketers Association *Association whose objective is "to engage exhibit and event professionals". While members get access to special services, there are many free areas including case studies and articles, glossary of terms and more.
- National Association of Sales Professionals *Relatively new group that is pushing for salesperson certification.
- Society of Incentive and Travel Executives *Association for those in the incentive industry.
- Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International *Association of travel sales and marketing professionals in industries such as hotels, resorts, airlines, cruise lines, car rental agencies, theme parks and attractions.
- Information Technology Industry Council *A society of US providers of information technology products and services.
- International Newspaper Marketing Association *An association for the advancement of newspaper marketing activities. Includes a nice research section that offers case studies and links to international newspapers and to newspaper associations.
- Professional Pricing Society *This is a society that provides tips on establishing a pricing strategy. Intended for "both pricing professionals and executives seeking solutions to their pricing challenges."
- Society for Marketing Professional Services *While the name sounds like it covers a lot of ground, this trade group appears to limit its coverage to those interested in marketing issues related to architects, engineers and contractors.
Marketing and Business Publications Web Sites
Below KnowThis.com presents links to leading magazines, newspapers and trade publications. Many of these sites provide access to articles that appear in the print version of major publications. Many also function as online news sources and include expanded materials not available in the print version as well as providing access to many other resources.
General Marketing Publications
General Business Publications
- BizJournals.com *Weekly business publications from over 40 US cities.
- Entrepreneur Magazine
- Harvard Business Review
- Industry Week
- Strategy + Business
- The Wall Street Journal
Advertising, Promotion & PR Publications
- Advertising Age
- Chief Marketer
- Creative - (sales promotion oriented)
- PRWeek (UK)
- PRWeek (US)
- Shopper Marketing - (POP displays)
Customer-Focused Marketing & Direct Marketing
Distribution, Logistics & Transportation
Internet Marketing, Innovation & Technology Publications
International Business Publications
Marketing Research Publications
- Chain Store Age
- Convenience Store News
- Franchise Times
- HFN - Home Furnishing News
- Progressive Grocer
- Retailing Today
- Supermarket News
- Women's Wear Daily
Sales & Selling Publications
Academic Marketing Journals Websites
Below KnowThis.com presents links to leading academic journals in marketing fields.
- Academy of Marketing Science Review
- Australasian Marketing Journal
- European Journal of Marketing
- Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
- Journal of Marketing
- Marketing Letters
- Marketing Management Journal
- Marketing Science
Advertising and Promotion
- Advances in Consumer Research - includes free access to proceedings
- Journal of Consumer Marketing
- Journal of Consumer Research
- Psychology and Marketing
Marketing & Business Education
- Journal for Advancement of Marketing Education
- Journal of Marketing Education
- Marketing Education Review
E-Commerce and Internet Marketing
- International Journal of Electronic Commerce
- Journal of Interactive Advertising
- Journal of Interactive Marketing
Sales & Sales Management
Other Marketing-Related Publications
- Industrial Marketing Management
- Journal of Macromarketing
- Journal of Marketing for Higher Education
- Journal of Public Policy and Marketing
- Journal of Services Marketing
- Marketing Intelligence and Planning
General Business (academic and practitioner)
Academic Marketing Research Centers and Institutes
Listed are websites for centers and institutes devoted to research in marketing.
- Baker Retailing Center
- Center for Market Leadership
- Center for Retailing Education and Research - CRER
- Center for Retailing Studies
- Center for the Connected Consumer
- European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management - EIASM
- European Society for Opinion and Marketing Research - ESOMAR
- The Food Industry Center
- Institute for Public Relations
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences -INFORMS
- Institute for the Study of Business Markets - ISBM
- Marketing Science Institute
- Supply Chain & Logistics Institute