Trade and Professional Marketing Associations and Groups
Below KnowThis.com presents links to sites of the top professional association for a number of marketing areas. For more groups see Academic Marketing Associations and Groups.
- American Marketing Association *Leading professional society for those with interest in the practice, study and teaching of marketing.
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing *UK-based marketing association with strong emphasis on training and professional accreditation.
- CMO Council *Aimed at the chief marketing officer, this association has a heavy Internet/technology leaning. The site does have market reports, white papers and a newsletter that may be accessible to non-members.
- The Marketing Institute *A professional trade organization in Ireland.
Advertising & Promotion
- Advertising Research Foundation *Association that provides resources aimed at helping to create more effective marketing and advertising communications.
- American Association of Advertising Agencies *Trade organization representing the advertising agency business.
- Association of National Advertisers *This appears to be a fairly exclusive group whose membership consists of mostly large brand marketers who spend big money advertising on a national and international level.
- Cabletelevision Advertising Bureau *Trade group site has information, research reports and other materials related to advertising on cable television.
- Council of Public Relations Firms *Trade organization mostly for PR firms (as opposed to freelancers). Site includes firm rankings, career resources and directory for locating members.
- Direct Marketing Association *Leading professional association for direct marketers.
- Mailing & Fulfillment Service Association *Supports the interests of mailing service companies.
- National Mail Order Association *Focuses on support for small and mid-size mail marketers.
- Path to Purchase Institute *Focus is mostly on marketing promotions within retail stores.
- Promotion Marketing Association *Trade group that mostly focuses on consumer and trade promotions. Home of the annual Reggie Awards for top promotions.
- Promotional Products Association International *Industry group focusing on the use of products to aid promotional objectives.
- Public Relations Society of America *Society for those engaged in PR activities.
- American Teleservices Association *Trade group that is focused mostly on the telemarketing industry.
- Word of Mouth Marketing Association *Supports those using referral methods to achieve marketing objectives.
- Digital Analytics Association *Newer group that looks to make sense out of data gathered through website traffic reports.
- Interactive Advertising Bureau *Not-for-profit trade association focusing on advertising issues across all interactive formats.
- Mobile Marketing Association *Focus of this group is on marketing via wireless means including advertising and SMS messaging through cell phones and PDAs.
- Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization *Professional group site that is dedicated to improving the understanding of search engine marketing.
- Council of American Survey Research Organizations *Trade group whose mission is to improve the ethics and practice of survey research.
- Marketing Research Association *US-based organization dedicated to promoting excellence in marketing and opinion research. Offers news/event information, links to leading research firms and more.
- Marketing Research and Intelligence Association *Canadian-based group with comprehensive site direct towards marketing, advertising, social and political researchers.
- The Marketing Research Society *UK group which claims "largest professional body for individuals employed in market research."
- Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals *This association's site includes FAQs about CI, job opportunities, chapter listings and educational options.
- Corporate Design Foundation *An association that believes and teaches that organizational interests can be served through the effective use of design disciplines.
- Product Development & Management Association *Trade and academic group whose mission includes improving "the effectiveness of people engaged in developing and managing new products - both new manufactured goods and new services."
- Usability Professional's Association *This professional association site has good information for those involved in online and offline product design including coverage of the usability concept, links to guidelines and methods, and conference information.
- American Association of Franchisees and Dealers *Site contains information about owning a franchise, rights of franchise owners and other materials for those thinking of buying a franchise.
- International Franchise Association *Mission "is to enhance and to safeguard the business environment for franchisees and franchisors worldwide."
- National Retail Federation *This site from the leading retail trade group is well stocked with information for those interested in traditional retailing and includes a supplier guide, listing of state, retail associations and other information. Is also home to several other trade groups including Shop.org, a trade association for Internet retailers and e-tailers, and Retail Advertising & Marketing Association, a group that focuses on marketing and promotion issues at the retail level.
- Point of Purchase Advertising International *An international trade group that focuses on sales promotion and other marketing techniques within the retail environment.
Sales & Sales Management
- Center for Exhibition Industry Research *The main benefit offered by this group is the wide range of fee-based research reports available to both members (cheaper) and non-members covering many industries.
- National Association of Sales Professionals *Relatively new group that is pushing for salesperson certification.
- Society of Incentive and Travel Executives *Association for those in the incentive industry.
- Trade Show Exhibitors Association *Association for "professionals who use exhibits to promote and sell their products". While members get access to special services, there are many free areas including a nice exhibits tips section, career area, buyer's guide and more.
- Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International *Association of travel sales and marketing professionals in industries such as hotels, resorts, airlines, cruise lines, car rental agencies, theme parks and attractions.
- The Information Technology Industry Council *A society of US providers of information technology products and services.
- International Newspaper Marketing Association *An association for the advancement of newspaper marketing activities. Includes a nice research section that offers case studies and links to international newspapers and to newspaper associations.
- Professional Pricing Society *This is a society that provides tips on establishing a pricing strategy. Intended for "both pricing professionals and executives seeking solutions to their pricing challenges."
- Society for Marketing Professional Services *While the name sounds like it covers a lot of ground, this trade group appears to limit its coverage to those interested in marketing issues related to architects, engineers and contractors.