General Strategies: Market Expansion
With this strategy marketers look to grow overall sales in one of two ways:
- Grow Sales with Existing Products – With this approach the marketer seeks to actively increase the overall sales of products the company currently markets. This can be accomplished by:
1. getting existing customers to buy more
2. getting potential customers to buy (i.e., those who have yet to buy)
3. selling current products in new markets.
- Grow Sales with New Products – With this approach the marketer seeks to achieve objectives through the introduction of new products. This can be accomplished by:
1. introducing updated versions or refinements to existing products
2. introducing products that are extensions of current products
3. introducing new products not previously marketed.
Latest Marketing Stories
- Costco Is Facing a Looming, Bulk-Sized Problem (concerns of a changing market) Time
- Disney Bets $1 Billion on Technology to Track Theme-Park Visitors (high-tech and customer tracking) BusinessWeek
- Who Has The Biggest Marketing Budgets? (survey of marketing spending) Forbes
- Retailers Are Using Mobile Apps to Drive Up Sales (building store traffic with apps) Los Angeles Times
- Worst Product Flops of All Time (10 big product failures) 24/7 Wall St.
- The Price Of A Pizza In 237 U.S. Neighborhoods (stats on how pizza prices vary within cities) NPR
- Hey, We Want More $$$ Too! More Theme Parks Jack Up Ticket Prices (competitors see market leader's price increase as reason to raise their price) Time