Note: This may not apply if the organization does not use distributors.
Evaluate how the organization’s product(s) is distributed. Clearly marketing plans for a service organization may not have much detail here but this section will most likely have some relevance even for service firms (e.g., package delivery services, online legal service, etc,). (Length: 2 pages).
1. Describe the channels/supply chain employed to sell and deliver the product: (Note: Internal sales force discussion should appear under company promotion in Analysis: Current Product(s) above.)
- Options may include:
- direct to customer
- indirect via a distributor
- combination of both
2. What are the needs/benefits sought by distributors?
3. Describe the product’s role within the distributor network:
- How is this product used within the distributor’s business?
- How important is product within the distributor’s strategy?
- How is the product positioned?
- e.g., how does distributor view product in relation to competition
- What are the attitudes and perceptions about the organization’s product(s)?
4. Purchase process
- How does distributor network make their purchase?
- Who or what influence distributor’s purchases?
- Who makes up the distributor network?
- geographic region
- markets served