In this chapter, we present the first of a two-part examination of advertising with a discussion of advertising basics. We begin by covering several fundamental issues in advertising including examining what advertising is and why it is important to the marketing organization. We also look at managing the advertising effort by comparing in-house management to that offered by advertising professionals, such as advertising agencies. Finally, we identify different types of advertising and address trends facing the advertising industry.
- What is Advertising?
- Objectives of Advertising
- Managing Advertising Decisions
- Types of Advertising
- Trends in Advertising
Links to Cited References:
(note: Some links may no longer be active, if this is the case check Accessing Marketing Stories for hints on accessing.)
- ZenithOptimedia Press Release, October 3, 2011. http://www.zenithoptimedia.com/about-us/press-releases/zenithoptimedia-adspend-forecast-update-oct-2011/
- Airlie, C., “Global Advertising Spending Rose in 2010, Nielsen Says,” Bloomberg, April 4, 2011. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-03/global-ad-spending-in-2010-rose-11-on-soccer-s-world-cup-neilsen-says.html
- Rosenbloom, S., “Want More Information? Just Scan Me,” New York Times, September 21, 2011. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/fashion/qr-codes-provide-information-when-scanned.html
- Nir, S.M., “Nivea Pulls Ad After Online Outcry,” New York Times, August 19, 2011. http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/nivea-pulls-ad-after-online-outcry/
- Blair, N., “AT&T to Send Text Ads to Phones Based on Location,” USA Today, February 28, 2011. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/02/at38t-to-send-text-ads-to-phones-location/1
- Clifford, S., “The Incidental Video Screen Is Seen by More Viewers Than Prime Time,” New York Times, April 11, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/business/media/12adco.html
- “Mobile Measurement,” Nielsen website. http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/measurement/mobile-measurement.html
- Singer, N., “Making Ads That Whisper to the Brain,” New York Times, November 13, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/business/14stream.html
- Stelter, B., “The Myth of Fast-Forwarding Past the Ads,” New York Times, December 20, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21adco.html
- Swartz, J., “Twitter and Marketing: The Real Story (or So Says a New Study),” USA Today, July 23, 2010. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/07/twitter-and-marketing-the-real-story-or-so-says-a-new-study/1?
- “Rapid Growth Ahead for Mobile Game Ad Spending,” eMarketer, January 10, 2011. http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?R=1008159
- ZenithOptimedia, Press Release, October 3, 2011. http://www.zenithoptimedia.com/about-us/press-releases/zenithoptimedia-adspend-forecast-update-oct-2011/
- Elliott, S., “Trying to Move Up From a Fast-Talking, Buy-Now Approach,” New York Times, May 4, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/business/media/04adco.html
- Johnson, B., “Top 100 Global Advertisers See World of Opportunity,” Ad Age, December 6, 2010. http://adage.com/article/global-news/top-100-global-advertisers-world-opportunity/147436/