In this chapter, we continue our discussion of promotion decisions by looking at a second promotional mix item: sales promotion. Sales promotions are used widely in many industries, especially by marketers selling to consumers. We show that the objectives of sales promotion are quite different than advertising and are specifically designed to encourage customer response. Coverage includes a detailed look at promotions aimed at consumers, channel partners, and business-to-business markets. Finally, we will look at the trends shaping the sales promotion field.
- What is Sales Promotion?
- Objectives of Sales Promotion
- Classification of Sales Promotion
- Consumer Sales Promotions
- Trade Sales Promotions
- Business-to-Business Sales Promotions
- Trends in Sales Promotion
Links to Cited References:
- For one estimate on the value and usage of coupons see: "Coupon Industry Trends." NCH. https://www.nchmarketing.com/CouponIndustryTrends.aspx.
- "The 2016 Annual Sales Volume Estimate Summary." Promotional Products Association International. http://www.ppai.org/media/2534/ppai2016salesvolumestudysummary.pdf.
- "Facts and Figures." Hannover Messe. http://www.hannovermesse.de/en/exhibition/facts-figures.
- "Trade Fair Certification Program." Export.gov. https://www.export.gov/article?id=Trade-Fair-Certification-Program.