In this chapter, we investigate how public relations is growing in importance as a marketing tool and is now a critical component in helping marketers reach their objectives. We look at both the advantages and disadvantages of using PR for promotion. We see that PR uses a variety of tools to enhance the relationship between an organization and its target audience. And we show how, when handled correctly, PR can allow a marketer's message to stand out compared to other promotional methods.
- What is Public Relations?
- Advantages and Disadvantages of PR
- Objectives of Public Relations
- Public Relations Tools
- Additional Public Relations Activities
- Trends in Public Relations
Links to Cited References:
- For more on investor relations and how it differs from public relations see: Penn, Christopher S. "What is Investor Relations?" Shift Communication, June 28, 2017. http://www.shiftcomm.com/blog/what-is-investor-relations.
- While professional PR help is often recommended when dealing with the media, organizations may still be able reach the media on their own as discussed here: Long, Jonathan. "5 Public Relations Tips to Help You Write a Pitch Someone Will Actually Read." Entrepreneur, July 13, 2017. https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/297107.
- If an organization is paying someone to to mention a product (e.g., blogger, podcaster), U.S. law requires such payment be identified by those being paid. For more on this advertising endorsement law see: "Truth in Advertising - Advertisement Endorsements." Federal Trade Commission. https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/truth-advertising/advertisement-endorsements.
- "Wienermobile Tour Schedule." Oscar Mayer. http://www.oscarmayer.com/wienermobile.
- Joseph, Leslie. "Inside Marriott's Social-Media Command Center Where It (Lovingly and Thoughtfully) Spies on Guests." Quartz, March 11, 2017. https://qz.com/890383/marriott-is-spying-on-its-guests-and-sometimes-sending-them-champagne.
- Google Alerts. Google. https://www.google.com/alerts.
- For an example of how an organizational crisis can become a difficult public relations issue see: Wiener-Bronner, Danielle. "Equifax Turned Its Hack Into a Public Relations Catastrophe." CNN Money, September 13, 2017. http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/12/news/companies/equifax-pr-response/index.html.
- Foreman, Curtis. "10 Types of Social Media and How Each Can Benefit Your Business." Hootsuite, June 20, 2017. https://blog.hootsuite.com/types-of-social-media.
- For more on search engine optimization see: "What Is SEO / Search Engine Optimization?" Search Engine Land. http://searchengineland.com/guide/what-is-seo.