In this chapter, we investigate how public relations is growing in importance as a marketing tool and is now a critical component in helping marketers reach their objectives. We look at both the advantages and disadvantages of using PR for promotion. We see that PR uses a variety of tools to enhance the relationship between an organization and its target audience. And we show how when handled correctly, PR can allow a marketer’s message to stand out compared to other promotional methods.
- What is Public Relations?
- Advantages and Disadvantages of PR
- Objectives of Public Relations
- Public Relations Tools
- Additional Public Relations Activities
- Trends in Public Relations
Links to Cited References:
(note: Some links may no longer be active, if this is the case check Accessing Marketing Stories for hints on accessing.)
- Markowitz, E., “Recovering From a Blow to Your Brand’s Reputation,” Inc. Magazine, August 22, 2011. http://www.inc.com/ss/recovering-from-a-blow-to-your-brands-reputation
- McDonald, J., “Public Relations in China: Dirty Tricks, Scandals,” MSNBC, October 22, 2010. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39794196/ns/world_news/
- Rose, D., “The Four Cs of Centralized vs. Localized Message Development,” PR Conversations.com, October 11, 2010. http://www.prconversations.com/index.php/2010/10/the-four-cs-of-centralized-vs-localized-message-development/
- Branch, J., “Rejection by N.B.A. Gives New Shoes Even Greater Bounce,” New York Times, October 20, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/sports/basketball/21shoes.html
- Armstrong, L., “Trash Proof Press Kits,” Exhibitor Magazine, April 2010. http://www.exhibitoronline.com/exhibitormagazine/apr10/trash-proof-press-kits-trade-shows.asp
- Oscar Mayer Wienermobile website. http://hotdoggerblog.com/
- Vranica, S., “Fastest-Growing PR Stunt: Get Into Guinness Records,” Wall Street Journal, October 4, 2010. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704789404575524393340308962.html
- “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising,” United States Federal Trade Commission, October 2010. http://www.ftc.gov/os/2009/10/091005revisedendorsementguides.pdf
- Yao, D., “FTC: Bloggers Must Disclose Payments for Reviews,” USA Today, October 5, 2009. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2009-10-05-ftc-bloggers_N.htm
- Vocus website. http://www.vocus.com/content/index.asp
- Google Alerts website. http://www.google.com/alerts
- Schreinder, B. and S. Skidmore, “Taco Bell Using Ads to Battle Back on Beef,” MSNBC, January 28, 2011. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41311073/ns/business-consumer_news/
- Christ, P., “Internet Technologies and Trends Transforming Public Relations,” Journal of Website Promotion, 1 (4), 2007.
- Elliott, S., “Growing Appreciation for P.R. on Madison Avenue,” New York Times, September 8, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/09/business/media/09adco.html