In this chapter, we investigate how public relations is growing in importance as a marketing tool and is now a critical element in helping marketers reach their objectives. We look at both the advantages and disadvantages of using PR for promotion. We see that PR uses a variety of tools to enhance the relationship between an organization and its target audience. And we show how, when handled correctly, PR can allow a marketer’s message to stand out compared to other promotional methods.
- What is Public Relations?
- Advantages and Disadvantages of PR
- Objectives of Public Relations
- Public Relations Tools
- Additional Public Relations Activities
- Trends in Public Relations
- For more on investor relations and how it differs from public relations see: Evan Tarver. “Investor Relations (IR).” Investopedia, March 26, 2020. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/investorrelations.asp.
- It should be noted that while some have argued media outlets are not unbiased, those presenting these arguments are generally associating these with issues related to politics and governing, rather than issues within the business realm, such as mentions of a marketer or its products.
- While professional PR help is often recommended when dealing with the media, organizations, and particularly small businesses, may still be able reach the media on their own as discussed here: Kaylee Kolditz. “A Complete Business Guide to Public Relations.” U.S. Chamber of Commerce, January 9, 2020. https://www.uschamber.com/co/grow/marketing/public-relations-guide.
- If an organization is paying someone to mention a product (e.g., blogger, social media influencers), U.S. law requires such payment be identified by those being paid. For more on this advertising endorsement law see: “Truth in Advertising – Advertisement Endorsements.” Federal Trade Commission. https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/truth-advertising/advertisement-endorsements.
- When media tours are undertaken virtually through TV, radio or internet, these are often called satellite media tours. For more see: “What is a Satellite Media Tour?” Lyons Public Relations. https://www.lyonspr.com/what-is-a-satellite-media-tour.
- For more information on social media command centers and how these were used during the coronavirus pandemic see: “Social Media Command Centers and the COVID-19 Pandemic.” Constant Tech. https://constanttech.com/social-media-command-centers-and-the-covid-19-pandemic.
- Google Alerts. Google. https://www.google.com/alerts.
- While misleading information on social media can negatively impact an organization, positive information can offer great benefits. An interesting example is explained here: Jon Jackson. “The Story Behind Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Dreams,’ TikTok’s New Favorite Song.” Newsweek, October 5, 2020. https://www.newsweek.com/fleetwood-mac-dreams-viral-story-behind-1536482.
- For more on search engine optimization see: “What Is SEO / Search Engine Optimization?” Search Engine Land. https://searchengineland.com/guide/what-is-seo.