In this chapter, we look at the importance of research in marketing. We explore what marketing research is and see why it is considered the foundation of marketing. Our examination includes a detailed look at the key methods marketers use to gather relevant information. Finally, we look at the trends shaping marketing research.
- The Foundation of Marketing
- Research in Marketing
- Secondary Research
- Primary Research
- Trends in Marketing Research
- For more on the different methods of sampling see: “Survey Sampling Methods.” Stat Trek. https://stattrek.com/survey-research/sampling-methods.aspx.
- “Google Scholar.” Google. https://scholar.google.com.
- It should be noted that many of the primary research methods discussed in this section were affected by the coronavirus pandemic. For ideas on how research can be conducted during such events see: “The Global COVID-19 Effect on Market Research Data Collection.” Dooblo. https://www.dooblo.net/cvd-report.
- For more on customer engagement see: “Customer Engagement.” Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_engagement.
- For more on how virtual reality and simulations may impact research see: “Virtual Reality Market Research.” Explorer Research. https://explorerresearch.com/learn/consumer-research-techniques/virtual-reality-market-research.
- In 2018, the European Union instituted the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that impacts how marketers and others can gather customer information. For a summary of GDPR and its requirements see: “What is GDPR?” ZDNet. https://www.zdnet.com/article/gdpr-an-executive-guide-to-what-you-need-to-know.