In this chapter, we explore the techniques marketers use to manage customers. We begin by defining what a customer is and why they are important to an organization. We then look at what tools and strategies must be in place to manage customers skillfully, including the crucial requirement that marketers work hard to build relationships with their customers. Finally, we conclude with a discussion of how servicing customers after the sale is often just as critical as pre-sale marketing efforts.
- What is a Customer?
- Customers and the Organization
- Challenge of Managing Customers
- Customer Relationship Management
- Customer Service and Marketing
- Trends in Customer Service
- Customer Service Technologies
Links to Cited References:
- For more on customer lifetime value see: "Customer Lifetime Value." Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_lifetime_value.
- For more insight into various types of kiosks see: Kiosk Marketplace. https://www.kioskmarketplace.com.
- For a review of CRM products for small businesses see: Marvin, Rob and Molly K. McLaughlin. "The Best CRM Software of 2017." PC Magazine, May 30, 2017. https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367263,00.asp.
- For one ranking of customer service for leading organization and industries see: "Temkin Customer Service Ratings." Temkin Group. https://temkingroup.com/temkin-ratings/temkin-customer-service-ratings.
- Copp, Emily. "A Beginner's Guide to Social Media Customer Support." Hootsuite, January 5, 2017. https://blog.hootsuite.com/beginners-guide-to-social-customer-support.