In this chapter, we begin our examination of resellers by examining the role retailers serve in reselling a marketer’s products. We begin by setting out reasons why selecting resellers is an important decision that should not be taken lightly. We then turn our attention to a detailed look at retailing, which in terms of sales volume and number of employees is one of the largest sectors of most economies. We show that retailing is quite diverse, and marketers, who want to distribute through retailers, must be familiar with the differences that exist among different retail options. The chapter concludes with a look at the key concerns facing today’s retailers.
- Importance of Resellers
- What is Retailing?
- Benefits of Retailers
- Ways to Categorize Retailers
- Retail Formats
- Concerns of Retailers
Links to Cited References:
(note: Some links may no longer be active, if this is the case check Accessing Marketing Stories for hints on accessing.)
- Bustillo, M., “Wal-Mart Radio Tags to Track Clothing,” Wall Street Journal, July 23, 2010. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704421304575383213061198090.html
- “2007 Economic Census,” United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/econ/census07/
- Cater, F., “Big-Box Retailers Move to Smaller Stores in Cities,” National Public Radio, December 21, 2010. http://www.npr.org/2010/12/21/132231472/big-box-retailers-move-to-smaller-stores-in-cities
- Top 500 U.S. Websiteshttp://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/US and Top 500 U.K. Websites, Alexa.com. http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/GB
- Lazarus, D., “Wake Up and Hear the Rewards Clamor, CVS,” Los Angeles Times, August 12, 2011. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20110812,0,2015315.column
- Anand, A., “Major Grocer Getting Rid of Self-Checkout Lanes,” MSNBC, July 10, 2011. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43687085/ns/business-consumer_news/
- Binkley, C., “How Stores Lead You to Spend,” Wall Street Journal, November 30, 2010. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704679204575646722998802434.html
- Schutlz, D., “Top 100 Retailers,” Stores, July 2011. http://www.stores.org/STORES%2520Magazine%2520July%25202011/top-100-retailers
- “Costco’s Success Secrets Revealed,” ABC News, March 29, 2010. http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/YourMoney/video/costcos-success-secrets-revealed-10228994
- “The Best and Worst Franchises to Own,” Inc. Magazine, January 25, 2011. http://www.inc.com/articles/201101/the-best-and-worst-franchises-to-own.html
- For an example of advanced vending machines see ZoomSystems website. http://www.zoomsystems.com/
- Brunt, C., “NFL Teams Look to Vending Machines as Sales Option,” USA Today, October 2, 2010. http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2010-10-02-nfl-merchandise-vending-machine_N.htm
- For a list of top franchises see Entrepreneur Magazine website. http://www.entrepreneur.com/franchise500/index.html
- Zwahlen, C., “Military Surplus Retailers Struggle With Short Supplies,” Los Angeles Times, May 9, 2011.
- Bustillo, M., “Wal-Mart Sees Small Stores in Big Cities,” Wall Street Journal, October 13, 2010. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703673604575550243762557882.html